International Workshop on Sustainable use of Saline Resources
11-13 October, 2011
More than 70% surface of the earth is covered with salty water and about 6% of the total land area is salt affected. Land salinity is the major problem of the world and the main cause of reduction of food supply due to two fold problem at once, increase of land salinity and the exploding population of the world that increases the demand to supply ratios from the present cultivated land. The sustainable utilization of saline land is one of the economic and durable approaches to utilize salt affected areas using the natural resources. This workshop will be a platform for the participants to share new techniques and developments in field of saline land use, and it will provide new insight the utilization of unfertile area in the sense of a systematic progress toward this word primitive agricultural land problem.
- Sustainable utilization of saline resources to grow non-conventional cash crops.
- Eco-physiological, biochemical, molecular characterization of halophytes.
The program includes a series of lectures on:
- An introduction of Sustainable use of saline resources, in prospective of future demands.
- Eco-physiology: The basic tool to investigate and understanding plants growing in saline areas.
- Molecular biology: a tool to understand the mechanism of salt tolerance of potential cash crops.
- A commercial use of saline areas to grow potential cash crops halophytes, which are good sources of oil, medicinal use, forage and food, biofuel and ornamental purposes.
Young botanists, biochemists, biotechnologists and post graduate scholars from public sector universities and research institutes.
Selection of the Participants
The relevance of candidates’ present job as researcher/educator will be the main criteria for selection. Participants planning to attend the workshop in private capacity are requested to submit a recommendation letter/ No objection certificate from the head of their organization along with the application form.
Local Hospitality and Travel
COMSTECH will provide only local hospitality (accommodation & meals) to the selected participants in its Guest House. COMSTECH does not offer travel grants to the participants of workshop.
All applicants are required to download the application form from the below link. Filled forms along with recommendation letter/NOC should be sent to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to +92-51-9205264.
- To download application form click here
All successful candidates of the workshop will be informed through email not later than 25th September, 2011. The selected participants will be required to deposit the registration fee of one thousand rupees (Rs. 1000) through demand draft/cheque in favor of COMSTECH Islamabad at least ten days before the commencement of the workshop.
|Last Date for Applications|
|5 September, 2011
for foreign candidates
|15 September, 2011
for candidates from Pakistan
Focal Person of the Workshop
Prof. Dr. M. Ajmal Khan
Institute of Sustainable Halophyte Utilization
University of Karachi, Karachi-75270
Phone: (9221) 34820253, Fax: (9221) 34820258
Send your queries to:
Ms. Hanifa Beg
Fax: +92-51-9205264, +92-51-9220265